Monday, April 17, 2023

Tax day anxiety

I have a very bad habit, it's really more of a personality defect or character flaw. I procrastinate important things, bury thoughts about them, and refuse to face them until they become bigger and bigger problems. I do this with things that aren't all that bad or problematic in the first place, but I just don't want to deal with them. 

Clay actually prepared the taxes, but I knew there was missing information because I have a large box full of unopened mail from at least the past year. On top of the usual financial stuff that I hate to deal with, I'm faced with needing to sign up for Medicare because I'm turning 65 in July. That is really something I've been burying and suppressing with all my best avoidance devices. Anyway, we found what was needed to file the taxes at least and I left it to him while I went out to hike with the dogs and work off my anxiety attack. 

How many miles does it take to walk off tax day and Medicare anxiety? Six. Fortunately it was a beautiful, cool and breezy afternoon. We hadn't walked yesterday, so Della and Elvis were up for it.

Clay filed the taxes while we were gone. When I got back he needed my driver's license to complete the filing, which he did while I fed the dogs. Then I went upstairs and created a new email account for financial matters, a new social security account, and I even completed the Medicare part A application. In the coming days I'm going to tackle that box of unopened mail and other instances of nonfeasance that are hanging over my head.












Sunday I did get the zero turn mower running and I spent the rest of the day cutting the yard, except the dog yard, pictured here, which was too pretty to cut just yet.



1 comment:

Scott Rothe said...

A very good start. Learning about Medicare, it's easy to go down the rabbit hole. Just know that once you wrap it up, you really don't have to think about it much afterwards. Thank you, Lyndon Johnson!