Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Go your own way

The best thing happened for the three shepherds today. Well, the best thing since getting neutered and best thing until they are adopted. Sturgis moved to a new foster home, splitting up the band, so to speak.

Now, before anyone thinks how sad it is that they aren't all together anymore, imagine living your entire life with your siblings, even after you've all become adults. I love my two sisters, but one is in Kentucky and the other is in Montana; we are all gave each other space and I firmly believe that is best. These three dogs had a bad case of littermate syndrome and it's far past the time that they each should have learned to stand on their own four feet. Dakota is a bit of a bully and I've had to feed him separately from the other two since they arrived. Fargo has been far too dependent on Sturgis and needs to come out of his shell and be his own dog. Sturgis was really the most sociable of the three and the most ready to move out on his own.

Sturgis's new foster home has another dog and that's perfect. He still has a playmate but he will learn to live with another dog and even more importantly, he will learn to live in a home. This is nothing but good news and it eases the situation around here a bit so I can begin to do more with Fargo, and Dakota, and Norman. 

Norman has been solo since Chico got adopted, so tomorrow I plan to let him share the combined Greater Daneland area with Dakota and Fargo. 

Last night I took the opportunity to get a final family portrait or two while they were still all together. They do make a nice canine photo composition.

Left to right, and front to back, Sturgis, Fargo, and Dakota





Here is Sturgis with his new foster brother in his new foster home.


And here's Chico, doing well in his new adoptive home.


Do you remember Kaiya? She's the female foster I had recently that I had to move to another foster home because of issues with the female dogs in our house. Well, she was recently adopted by a nice couple who have a male dog. I wasn't sorry to see her go, but I'm very happy that she's been adopted.




No comments: