Friday, April 14, 2023

Farewell to Fargo

Fargo went to a new foster home today. Like Sturgis did before him, Fargo has made that next big step towards his new life. That leaves me with just Dakota from the original group of three. What the new homes did for Sturgis and Fargo, they have done the same for Dakota because he will now move indoors as they are and learn to be a dog in the world shared by humans and canines. 

I really have to thank Erika of Green Dogs for not flinching, growling, or even hesitating when I took in these three dogs. She offered her full support right from the start even though I took them in not even knowing what I was getting into. They all needed separate foster homes and now they have them. They aren't adopted yet, but they are all vetted, neutered, and they have at least the beginnings of socialization with humans. They all walk on leashes, they come inside at night, and they can meet new people and new dogs. They aren't all the way yet and many challenges lie ahead, but they are on their way.

Fargo's new foster home has a child and another dog. He also met a cat today and showed no interest in it at all. Fargo was the shyest of the three starting out, but he has shown a lot of growth in his time with me and the potential for a lot more. 

Fare thee well, Fargo, I look forward to meeting you one day when you've grown into your full potential as a German Shepherd Dog. You will be spectacular.





I also said goodbye today to the tall grass in the pasture. I had someone out with a bushhog who cut it down. The dogs and I really enjoyed the trails through the tall grass but if I want to keep it as pasture, it needed to be cut. I expect that I'll let it grow again this year because the trails really were more fun, but we'll have a different set of trails. 

Before the cut



and after



And here's Maya and Elvis playing in the kitchen, just because.





No comments: