Thursday, April 13, 2023

Monthly meds

This morning I found two tiny ticks attached to my body. If I had them, I have to assume that the dogs were picking some up too, although for some reason I am a particularly strong tick magnet. That meant that it was time to begin flea and tick treatment for the season. I should have done it a month ago, but today it got done. 

Since everyone was getting faux Frontline, I decided to do the monthly heartworm preventative today as well. It will be easier in coming months to just do it all on the same day. The dogs love heartworm prevention day because it means they get some canned food. I'm such a mean bastard that my dogs don't get treats or anything special to eat except once a month on heartworm day. They love it.

It was 86 degrees this afternoon. I took the dogs to the pasture, Elvis and Maya went on a major hunting expedition. Elvis missed out on a hike and they both missed dinner. Della and Norman ran around for a little while, but it was really too warm for too much activity. 

I ended up taking Paisley on a hike, just the two of us. By the time I got started it was getting late and it actually wasn't so hot. We went three miles in the amount of daylight we had left.

Paisley

Maya

Daisy had her heartguard a few days ago, so she just got the Frontline today.

Della

Elvis

Dakota

Fargo

Norman












1 comment:

Scott Rothe said...

I've never had a tick bite -- but then, you'll never find me "in the woods".

Fleas love me. I discovered this back in early 1984 on Taylor Street in Arlington. Your cat, Shoes, introduced fleas into that house, and every bite turned into welts up and down my legs. You and Bert seemed to be unaffected. I laid a newspaper on the floor to SHOW you all the jumping fleas. I "bombed" the house with flea bombs one day when the three of us were gone all day.

The next (and last) time I was attacked was the first week of 1997 when I visited beaches all around Puerto Rico. I spent a couple of sleepless nights of itching when I stayed at a scenic former tobacco plantation in the mountainous center of the island. The first thing I did when I returned to San Juan was run into a Walgreens to buy Benadryl pills and cream.

My reaction to biting bugs is a big reason I call myself an "Avid Indoorsman"!

Speaking of biting bugs, my brother and his wife are in Arizona to visit my sister. I haven't seen him since last millennium. I don't imagine I'll see him this millennium, either. I kind of like to keep a couple thousand miles between us.

Best of luck with YOUR ticks!

Scott R.