Friday, April 28, 2023

Rainy day visitors

Rainy days are never my favorite. Wet dogs, bored dogs, muddy dogs, and a leaking roof don't do much for me. I was feeling rather smug about having mowed the yard yesterday, however. The prospect of rapidly growing grass isn't unpleasant right after it's been cut. Plus, I think it's still early enough that the buttercups will rebloom before their season is over. 

Dakota is still showing some slow improvement. I'm now able to approach him with a leash without him running away from me. I think the hikes have a lot to do with his improved attitude towards the leash. I can also take him outdoors with the other dogs without a leash. Sometimes I use a long line on him, but if it's meal time he will follow me as I carry his food dish out to Daneland. He does need a playmate. I put Paisley out in Daneland with him yesterday, but all she taught him was to run the fence line barking at Della on the other side. The day before I had put Maya and Elvis out with him for a while in the morning. That was better. I looked out and saw Maya running and playing with him, which was good to see and good for both of them. Later I saw him sitting with Elvis on one of the elevated platforms. 

Killian, one of the Della's pups, is here to stay with us for a week. Erika and family are supposed to be going to their cabin in the woods somewhere. I say "supposed to" because late this afternoon they still hadn't left home. Killian has been here before and he fits in beautifully. I am looking forward to walking him and Della together. They will make a very impressive pair. I'm hoping even more that Della will engage in Dane-style play with him like she used to with Serena. 

Still later in the day some people came out to meet Dakota. He wasn't thrilled but he did pretty well with them, even taking some treats. What he liked best is that we also had a visit from one of his brothers, Fargo, about the same time. The boys were happy to see each other again. Fargo is going through the same learning curve as Dakota, but apparently Fargo is experiencing some separation anxiety and is able to get out of his crate. The people who came wanted to meet both of them and they spent an hour or so here this afternoon. Dakota howled when Fargo left. 

Killian's arrival

Maya in the wet grass (the part that I didn't get mowed).

Elvis doesn't just casually look and sniff, he hunts.

The horse chestnut is in bloom.

Dakota was a bit scared of Killian.

Killian and Della

Elvis and Maya in the recently mown dog yard.

A rather wet Dakota this morning.

Paisley in the kitchen as I was cooking.

Elvis

Fargo and Dakota

The two brothers went into the same crate together.



Della doesn't care for rain at all.


No comments: