Thursday, April 20, 2023

Another new day for Dakota

It was actually too hot this afternoon to make hiking seem very attractive and I had a busy work day anyway. I had Dakota indoors with the rest of the pack most of the day but I took them all out to the pasture for a while in the afternoon.

No one wanted to run much, except Elvis, who immediately went on the hunt. I had Dakota on a long line but he stuck pretty close to me for the most part. When he did run off on his own it was because he spotted the back side of Daneland and he wanted to go back in. He's more comfortable out there still, but that will change. His manners indoors are very good; he mostly finds a crate or empty bed, lays down, and minds his own business.

After Clay got home, we went to town. I needed to hit Costco and then we hit Decipher, along with Dakota. There were a lot of people there but not a lot that we knew and only one other dog that I saw. There was an improv group and their followers, so it was a big crowd but not a lot of regulars. We sat out of the way where Dakota could just lay down and watch. He was interested and watched attentively, but I know he was glad when we left. I've never seen him hop into the crate in the van as readily as he did this evening.

It was good experience for him and he handled it well. He may never be a social butterfly, but that's ok, I'm not either. It's really too soon to tell with this guy. Right now he's just a sponge, soaking in a lot of new experiences and new information. What he does with it all is yet to be seen. I saw him do the head tilt today as he was taking in something new, so I know he's learning.



Della knew it was too hot. She stayed in the shade.

Paisley and Maya



Elvis seems to fancy himself as the Great White Hunter, 
although I've never seen him catch anything.
I'm a little concerned that he'll find a snake that he shouldn't. 


Dakota followed Maya around for a while, 
that was probably the best judgment call he's made.



He even engaged in a short game of chase with Paisley.
That was good to see.


I must have brushed him five times today but the fur is still flying off that dog.




I bought him some peanut butter and bacon flavored treats at Costco.
He wanted nothing to do with them.


His favorite part of the evening was leaving.
I should take him out with Elvis for a lesson in how to work a crowd.




1 comment:

Rachel said...

As a fellow introvert, I definitely agree with Dakota on the crowds.

Glad to see him learning how to he a dog, and the head tilt reference got me.