Sunday, April 30, 2023

Dakota's first day as a dog

Today was the first day that Dakota seemed like a dog rather than some damaged little creature in the body of a dog. 

It started off early this morning. He went outside with everyone else, no leash, and followed everyone to the shed where I dish out the food. I put a generous scoop of food in his bowl and headed over to Daneland where he can eat in peace (he's a slow eater). He did a happy dance all the way over, wagging his tail and prancing all around me.

After everyone had eaten they all came back inside because the forecast called for rain all day. Clay and I went to town to do some errands but the forecasted rain kept being pushed back later and later in the day. When we got home I got all the dogs out to the yard and pasture to run around while I did some planting. Dakota followed the other dogs around, sometimes shadowing Elvis and Maya on the hunt, other times hanging out with Paisley. He would even come when I called him and spent some time around me and the Danes, although he thought we were boring.  

I took him for a walk in the evening along with Della when I thought the rain was surely all over. It poured hard when we first arrived at the park so we stayed in the van and waited it out, fortunately it passed quickly. We then did the two mile walk through the park and had the place entirely to ourselves. About halfway through Dakota seemed to work up his confidence and he walked next to Della and even out front for a while.

He still has a long way to go and has much to learn, but I think he trusts me now and that will make everything else, every new and scary experience, so much easier. 













2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It makes my heart happy to see Dakota's progress.

EThetaB said...

Congratulations, Brent! Way to go on helping this poor dog find himself.