Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Four dogs, five miles

Della and Elvis sunning and napping on the boardwalk this morning.

I did open the divider between the shepherds and Norman's side of Daneland today and let those three all hang out together. They got along fine, as I expected they would. The shepherds got some new space to explore and an experience living with an unrelated dog. Norman is basically fine with everyone. He is Clifford the Big Red Dog in beige. He's a sweet brute. He would be perfect if he was my only dog. Being one of many, he's a bit much. He needs a lot more one-on-one time with a human. 




I didn't get out to walk at all yesterday so I needed to make up for it today. I started out with Della and Daisy. We went a little less than 2.5 miles and that was plenty for those two. It was 80+ degrees out there and the heat is tough on large dogs and black dogs. Both girls were going slower than I wanted, especially towards the end. I will have to limit Della's hiking to early mornings (which I rarely do), cooler days, or short walks for the rest of the spring and summer. Daisy walked nicely with Della and she started out with great enthusiasm, but the heat slowed her down too.












A welcome rest stop at Sparky's Watering Hole.

For the second leg of today's hike I took Elvis and Norman. I knew Elvis would be easy and Norman would be difficult and I was right. Norman was excited and he's young enough that the heat really didn't affect him. He has a tendency to push against me as we walk which really annoys me. At one point I attached the short lead from his Gentle Leader onto Elvis's harness and had them both out in front of me. That worked for me but wasn't really fair to Elvis. I took the short lead back in hand and we had a couple of "come to Jesus" moments out on the trail before finally settling into a pattern that worked for both of us. I managed to get him to stay enough behind me that only his head was next to me so he wasn't pushing me. We went a little more than 2.5 miles and I felt like I had surely burned more than the 700 calories that my phone credited to me for both hikes. 




Normal is attached to Elvis here.




This is a stack of rocks along the trail, about 3' tall, very creative.


5.14 miles


No comments: