Monday, July 4, 2022

Sunset hunt with Della, Kilo, and Odin

I'm anticipating fireworks this evening so I wanted to get Kilo and Odin out for a run so they would be tired and ready to come in to their crates by the time it got dark this evening. Della came along too of course, after all it's her pasture. 

I rode the mower and went over the pathways I had previously cut, and made one new one. There's really a nice network of trails out there now. I wish I had an aerial photo of the pasture right now to show them all. It might be time for a drone. Della mostly worked along the tree line, hunting rabbit, deer, or really anything that moved. Odin stuck with me really well, even leaving his buddy Kilo in favor of my company since he had spent the day with Kilo already. We scared up a fawn at the far bottom of the pasture along the fence. Fortunately the boys didn't see it in the tall grass and Della was elsewhere at the time so it made at least a temporary escape. 

Odin followed me around. He seems starved for human affection as much as he is for physical activity. He needs to learn to control his excitement before he's going to be a decent companion, however. His excitement level is over the top and he launches himself into the air in random directions when he's "on." What he really needs is a dimmer. I'm going to have to put a Gentle Leader on him and take control of him soon. He's a sweet boy, there's nothing wrong with him other than his age, his breed, and his testicles. We'll get him neutered, he will eventually mature, and someday his breed will actually become one of the best things about him.

Kilo is putting in more time with Odin than he did with the puppies, but Odin needs it.





This was Odin's first time running in the pasture and he really enjoyed it.



Kilo is easier to spot in the mowed areas.




The dogs do not confine themselves to the mowed pathways, but they do use them a lot.

















Odin really likes water. This is a dog I might try taking down to the river.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, my friend Debbie Thomas sent me the link to your blog. I also saw Odin on Petfinder , unless it was his twin with matching name….? Anyways, I am a lifetime GSD owner and was wondering if indeed he was up for adoption?

Brent said...

I'm sure it's the same dog, he's also listed on Petfinder. There should be a way to make contact through Petfinder or you can email me at vadogrescue@gmail.com.