Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Redemption dog

I wrote many posts in the past about things that Maya would get into, and destroy, if we dared to leave home for an evening without her. She had become a very social dog from all the brewery visits and she really resented being left behind. Her wrath was especially heinous if we left her behind but took another dog out instead. I remember sneaking another dog into the van so Maya wouldn't know that we took someone else. Every time we came home we'd look around for the damage she had wrought and we never had to look very far. We had given up trying to confine her to a crate because she would hurt herself and destroy the crate to get out. The damage was usually minor, shredded paper and other petty vandalism mostly, just to express her displeasure. 

Maya has finally outgrown that behavior. She's old enough now that she'd rather be left home most of the time, although she would prefer that we stay home with her. We usually take Della, depending on where we're going, but sometimes we take one of the foster dogs who needs socialization. Tuesday evening we took Paisley to a brewery in Charlottesville and then to dinner with Berta. When we got home Maya met us at the door, voicing her displeasure at our absence. I went up to the office to release Della from her crate and she immediately gave a once over with her nose and realized that we had taken Paisley out and not her. 

She proceeded to give me the cold shoulder that evening and when we went to bed I had to practically drag her out of her crate to make her come into the bedroom for the night. She finally came reluctantly into the bedroom, but took a position with her back to me and would not even acknowledge me. I knew I would have to do something to redeem myself today.

Ron and Jennifer are friends we had met on our pre-Covid Belgium beer tour a few years ago. They live in Pennsylvania but spend a couple weeks at a Massanutten timeshare every summer. They came to Charlottesville for the day and we met them out at Patch in the evening. I knew this was my chance at redemption with Della.

Della may know how to hold a grudge, but I know how to break it. There were lots of people there who came and wanted to meet her and love on her. Della eats that up and I think she got her fill of it Wednesday evening at Patch. Jen has been a fan of hers ever since we got her and was happy that I had brought her along. We took a position at the back in the brewery but people came up to us while we were there just to meet Della. I am back in her good graces this evening.


Tuesday night, Della finally came to the bedroom but slept with her back to me all night.

I brought the Gentle Leader but didn't leave it on her.




Jen was trying to get a selfie with Della all evening.




I just stole this pic from Jen's Facebook page, but it perfectly shows her
feelings for Della, which are shared by many people. Della thrives on that.





No comments: