Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Walking for health and happiness

After dinner Della grabbed Maya's spot under my desk because she had plans for me and wanted that vantage point from which to launch her scheme. I didn't realize that it wasn't Maya until I reached down to pet her and Della's head popped up between my legs. Her eyes said, "Get up, we've going for walk." 

She sort of stood up as she was raising her head between my legs, which had the effect of making me push my chair backwards to accommodate her. At that point I was dislodged from the computer and we were up and going. 

Paisley came along too. I would have taken Maya but I think I need to wait another week until her staples are removed. 

I was initially thinking that the walk was mostly for my health and dogs' happiness, but really we both derive both benefits from it. I'm overweight and I have high blood sugar and risk factors for heart disease. I'm too old to be carrying this much extra weight and I'm finally getting serious about the diet side of things. I also need physical activity for psychological reasons. I may come back all hot and sweaty, and yet I always feel better and sleep better too. 

The dogs need it as much as I do. Paisley is a bit overweight, but I'm cutting back her food so that will fall off. She needs to walk with me to build trust and I think it's working. She sometimes gets the leash under her body or between her legs. Last time we walked I found that I could stop and sort of nudge her with my leg to get the leash out from under her. This evening I actually stopped next to her and was able to reach down and lift one of her legs gently to get the leash out. Reaching for her and touching one of her legs would have been unthinkable a month or two ago and it's something that might have provoked her to snap at me. Not anymore.

For Della, the walks are mental exercise and stimulation more than anything else. She needs to get out and do something. She likes spotting the park bunnies even though she can't run after them. She likes seeing people and always hopes that my anti-social self will change my ways so that she will get the chance to meet everyone we see. That has happened occasionally on walks, but not as often as she would like. Walks are our time together, even if another dog comes along. 



Della's eyes have an intensity unmatched in any dog I've ever owned.












That's a happy look on Paisley.

The girls share a sniff from time to time. I try to keep moving.












No comments: