Monday, July 18, 2022

The end of thistle season?

I waited as long as I could before taking the dogs out to run this evening. I needed enough daylight for pictures but not enough to add to the heat. It was the usual suspects, Della, Max, Kilo, and Odin, and they were all ready for a run after a day of being mostly indoors.

The dogs ran and hunted, I mowed the pathways stopping whenever I spotted a thistle in bloom. I've been doing this for the past several weeks, catching them in bloom when they are easy to spot, but before they go to seed. This is the second year that I've attacked them systematically. Last year I just cut them off with a shovel and spayed the base. This year I have a tool that extracts them from the ground easily. I collect them in my cart and then put them on the burn pile. 

This evening I only found three making me think that their season is about over. I know that some will be back next year but I'm hope there will be fewer and fewer as time goes on. Mostly it gives me something to do while riding around and it keeps the dogs moving. 

I spotted two deer, young ones, but fortunately the dogs did not. I wish the deer would go live in the woods on the other side of the fence. 

Congregating at the gate to the pasture on the way out.
Max, Odin, Kilo, and Della.

It wasn't quite as humid today, the sky was actually blue.

Odin and Max




Max doesn't care that it's no longer an actual ball, 
he just needs something in his mouth to carry.

I need to get him a bath this week when it's hot and then to the vet before he gets too dirty again.

I got more pictures of Max and Odin because they both hang out with me and follow me around.
Kilo and Della are off hunting most of the time.


Kilo has a case of fomo (fear of missing out) so he turns up occasionally.




Della, Kilo, and Odin.





No comments: