Monday, December 12, 2022

A Dane day

Della has been quite patient and understanding about the puppies and other things this past week, but it's been too long without a walk and too long without her being the center of attention. I tried to fix that today.

Alandra came out with her two Danes, Shelby and Elliot. Elliot was one of Allison's puppies, the only male from that litter, a super sweet deaf boy. Shelby recently received her certification as a therapy dog and is beginning volunteer work. Elliot may pursue that line of work as well someday. He certainly seems to have the temperament for it. He always remembers me and is very happy to see me and I'll confess that that makes me very happy. 

I wasn't sure how Della would be but she was fine, mostly just happy to be getting out for a walk so it didn't matter who else came along. There weren't many other people in the park today but we passed one couple who wanted to meet the Danes. Della really likes that. They all did. We walked about 3.25 miles on a rather chilly, overcast day. It felt good and it was good have new hiking buddies, even if it wasn't a pretty day.





Elliot's trademark, the blue eye with eyeliner.





Puppy news: Erika came by this evening for more ENS (early neurological stimulation). The pups were pretty much the same, but Holly was noticeably calmer and more accepting of it all today. She sat up and watched but didn't make any real attempt to prevent me from picking up the pups or Erika from messing around with them. But the best thing happened after they Erika left. Holly actually went outside through the doggie door on her own, leaving me alone with the puppies while she did her outdoor business. She wasn't gone for long but it gave me a chance to change the bedding and clean up the whelping pool. Mostly I was just honored that she trusted me with them in her absence.


I weighed each puppy and they had all grown. Only Camilla is still under a pound, and she will pass that mark tomorrow. That's Camilla nursing by herself while the others are sleeping. Actually, I think Camilla has fallen asleep there as well.


No comments: