Friday, December 16, 2022

One dog, seven puppies

Holly has been at this mothering business 24 hours a day for over a week now. She's still very devoted to her seven pups, but she has at least taken a few moments for herself starting today. 

After Erika's visit early this afternoon, I was sitting with her and she got up to go outside. She hesitated a bit but I knew she needed to get away for a few minutes so I suggested that we go outside together. She knew that the puppies were safe and warm so she followed me outside. We didn't stay out there long, but she got away for a few minutes and had some normal adult dog time with me. 

When we went back in, she went over to check on the pups, but she didn't lay down with them immediately. To my surprise she made her way over to the far corner of the room and laid down under my cot. I guess we are reaching the point that she wants a little alone time, at least occasionally. I'll have to get a dog bed set up for her out there.

I set up a third space heater out there today, in addition to the larger heating pad under the wading pool, in preparation for the much colder temperatures predicted next week. I also need to start planning and building the next stage of habitat for the puppies. They are beginning to support their weight with their legs. In another week or so they will be learning to walk and before long the wading pool won't be able to contain them. I'll need to set up a larger enclosure with higher walls and more space for the next few weeks of development. And Holly will need a space of her own where she can keep an eye on them, but come and go as she pleases. 

The pups are growing rapidly now. Clay created a growth chart and graph, see below.














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so tempted by Holly. She seems like a sweet girl.