Friday, December 2, 2022

Holly's vet day

I took Holly to the vet today and dropped her off. During the course of the day they worked in xrays, an ultrasound, and a medicated bath in addition to the exam. The xrays showed seven tiny puppys. She's got a bare hotspot on her rear about the size of my fist, due to a flea allergy. Fleas had been removed but the skin is bare and raw. They gave her a medicated bath and sent her home with stuff for me to use on her in the coming days. They also found a de-wormer that was safe to give her.

I picked her up late this afternoon, brought her home and gave her a big, Saint Bernard sized, bowl of food since she had only eaten once today. Holly ate every bit of it and also devoured some canned food I brought out later to disguise the hidden de-worming pills. She posed for some pictures to humor me and then returned to her bed where she removed the squeaker from a toy with surgical precision. 

The word from the vet's office was that she was very sweet, which we already knew. The big question of course is when will the puppies come, and no one can say for sure. Best guess is sometime in the next ten days or so. That will give us time to bond and build trust. She seems pretty trusting already, but trusting me with her puppies is a whole other level of trust and something I'll have to earn. Hopefully I can prove myself worthy so she'll let me be around and help as needed. 


Picking her up this afternoon.

A big dinner. She's eating for 8 now.


Showing me her toy, but not giving it up.




That's a nice wool blanket in her bed. (Thanks, Berta.)
I'm thinking of building a cover over the bed to help retain heat.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing the babies when they arrive

Byron's Mom said...

She's a very pretty girl! Hopefully she has an easy delivery when the time comes!