Thursday, December 22, 2022

Solstice shepherd

Technically it's the day after Solstice, but let's not quibble. His name is Cooper. He came to us via HOWS, who also brought us Bessie (formerly Beastie) and Pinky, (now Jamma) from the same hell hole. 

I had agreed to take this dog a couple weeks ago, but then Holly and her puppies came. Still, he needed to get out of where he was "living." The HOWS folks told me he was nice and I was inclined to believe them, but the only video I had seen showed a somewhat neurotic looking shepherd so I was a bit worried. Fortunately, my worries were unfounded. Cooper is lovely. He's sweet, friendly, and seems very happy to be indoors although it's a first for him. I have him in one of the kitchen crates next to Kash, which was formerly occupied by Kinley. Cooper seems like he's amenable to stepping into Kinley's role as Kash's playmate too, which everyone around here will appreciate. 

He's already been neutered, thanks to HOWS. He's got an ear infection currently, which I'm treating with a variety of ear medicines and cleaners. Cooper is pretty good about letting me touch and treat his ears even though they are clearly bothering him. His ears are sort of borked right now, possibly due to what's going on inside them. We'll see if they stand  up nice and proper once that's cleared up. 

Cooper arrived came in on a wet, rainy, muddy day, so he's been inside all day with just a couple of trips to the a/c yard. He has met everyone without any problems and is tolerating Kash's puppy play even with his sore ears. He seems to know "sit" and he offers up his paw like that's a learned behavior as well. Cooper is thought to be about three years old. It was such a lousy day that I don't have any good pictures of him yet, but I'll get plenty in the days to come. Welcome Cooper (formerly spelled Couper for some reason).


His first meal upon arrival. No German Shepherd hunger strike by this underfed dog.







Out in Daneland, the puppies seem to be thriving. They are two weeks old today. I noticed that Peggy's eyes were open this afternoon, and I think Camilla's were as well when Erika came by later. She marveled at their growth and took some pictures of Holly sitting with me that I don't hate. (The face mask helps.) I weighed everyone again and Clay updated the graph. Everyone posted good gains today.



I love this pic of Holly who seems to be sticking out her tongue at Erika's camera.







Charlie had a good gain for the second day in a row. I hope this will continue.
Boomer's growth is soon to be literally off the chart.


No comments: