Friday, March 10, 2017

The Fourth Annual Homecoming Anniversary Hike

I picked up my phone as I got out of bed this morning as I always do, and opened Facebook to see one of their "memory posts." This one was from four years ago today, announcing that Maya had been found, alive and well, after being on the run for four weeks.

Those had been some of the worst weeks of my life. I had given up hope, but I couldn't give up worry.

Getting her back wasn't the end of the worrying either. Really it was just the beginning. I hate the overused word "journey" and it's really inadequate to describe the next few weeks, months, and now four years of living with this girl. I'd call it an odyssey.

She has enriched my life immeasurably, but it hasn't all been "roses without the thorns." But what is a rose without the thorn? It's a fake, a facsimile of the real thing, and that's not Maya. Maya is the real thing.

We've had a lot of dogs, fosters and otherwise, but none have had the impact that Maya has had on our lives. We've changed how we live, where we go, what we do because of her. No regrets about any of it. She's not an easy dog to live with, but I'm not an easy person to live with either.

I've said before that Maya and I are the same being in a different form. I have to wonder if we've been together before in a prior life, and were destined to be again, in this life, but we just failed to recognize each other when we first met because she had four legs and I only had two.

The wind was cold today but the sun was shining this afternoon so we got out for a homecoming anniversary hike and we took TJ along as well. He's a good walker and kept up with us for over seven chilly and windy miles.





TJ is having a great time as a foster at our house. 








7.3 miles, and another unique route.

No comments: