Saturday, July 17, 2021

Change of plans

We had plans for Saturday. We were going to go find that incredible water garden place out in Augusta county where I went last year and bought the lotus flower and some other water plants. We were going to look for a UTV I've been wanting, and probably would have hit a brewery or two out that way as well. Those were our plans for Saturday when we went to bed Friday night. 

Serena's digestive tract had other plans. She had us up three times during the night with diarrhea, which required some scrubbing, mopping, and dog bed changing on each occasion. She acts normally and doesn't seem sick, but something had obviously upset her system. I gave her some immodium and she was pretty much empty after the third event last night, but we thought it would be wise to stick close to home today.

As I said, she seems to feel fine and doesn't understand why I skipped feeding her both in the morning and again Saturday evening, but we have a rule around here that calls for a minimum 24 hour fast period following diarrhea. The rule is applied with special force if the one with diarrhea is a Great Dane. Consequently, I spent the day cooking (beef stew), cleaning (bedroom floor and dog beds), and putting in some time on my regular job. Not an exciting day, but not unproductive.



Doc heads to his new home on Sunday.

He's been fun to have around, but an adopted dog is one less to feed and handle around here.

I did a little trimming and deadheading in the flamingo garden this morning.

We had our first real experience with Nemo's thunderstorm anxiety today.
I didn't think it was going to be very severe so I purposely didn't medicate him in advance.
We did get enough thunder that he went into his anxious state. He kept trying to get behind things.
Here he had pushed in next to Maya (who got up and moved) and sat facing the corner.
I finally put a short leash on him and just kept him by my side.

This planter full of coleus just looks like a floral arrangement. Pretty stuff even with no blooms.



Doc and Maya in the kitchen while I was cooking.

These two big beds in the kitchen are like the ones that Della and Serena sleep in at night.
Even if Serena isn't using it, Della won't let another dog use the empty bed because she
still considers it to be Serena's bed. The "reserved" sign is implied.



No comments: