Saturday, July 24, 2021

Leroy

I'm calling him Leroy because it just seems like a name for a bloodhound that you might see lazing about on a front porch in the south. 

He was a stray from a nearby shelter, never claimed. He's been recently neutered and vaccinated. He tested negative for heartworms and he's now microchipped and ready to go. Leroy is thought to be 3-4 years old, no older I would say, based on a quick look I had at his teeth. His history? Who knows. He's been good with our household dogs and good in the house, at least so far. He marked every tree in sight when we were outside, but I haven't seen him lift a leg in the house. 

I left him alone downstairs in the kitchen when the others followed me upstairs, He was fine down there but got lonely. He wouldn't come on up on his own, but when I slipped a leash over his head and led him he ran on up the stairs. He also came down on his own, which suggests a familiarity with indoor stairs. I crated him for a while upstairs and he was fine with that. 

Leroy is a handsome devil with a dark red coat and a black saddle on his back. Since the last dog we had was another bloodhound, comparisons are inevitable. This guy is older and more sure of himself, whereas Doc/Dexter was more puppy-like. The most obvious difference I have observed so far is that Leroy has found his bloodhound voice and isn't shy about using it. He used it to let me know he wanted to go outside and I appreciate that very much. 

He seems like a sweet boy; he tried to climb into my lap when I was sitting in my desk chair and he comes up wanting petting and attention. So far, so good. He's with Green Dogs Unleashed.












No comments: