Monday, July 19, 2021

Della's diet

It was just a night or two before she gave birth that Della killed her first rabbit. It probably wasn't her first but it was her first since moving in with us. She's been on the hunt for more ever since then and has had a couple good chases but hadn't caught one, until today. Della isn't a trophy hunter who mounts heads on the wall to display, Della eats what she kills. 

It was first thing this morning as I was taking them all outside. I guess I lagged behind a bit because the deed was done by the time I arrived on the scene. I just heard the crunching as Della was consuming the carcass. Hugo made a play for it and they had a brief game of tug. Della then took it and went behind a shed, out of my sight, where she finished it off. Then she showed up at her food dish and ate her regular breakfast as well. 

She barfed up parts of it a while later up in my office. She cleaned most of it up herself before I was able to stop her. She ate some grass outside and vomited up a bit more later in the day. She didn't immediately consume it again, but she laid nearby to protect it from other dogs who would. 

I've been worried about her and am watching her closely today. She didn't act quite right, but she would still get up and come outside whenever I did and acted pretty much normal. I made a point of getting her up and out frequently today, thinking that movement would keep her digestive tract in motion. The biggest tell that she wasn't feeling entirely normal was when she declined Serena's invitations to play. But she still wanted to eat dinner this evening so her appetite is normal; I just gave her a very small amount of dog food even though she wanted more.

She has gorged herself on food on a couple of occasions in the past and not had any problem, so I hope that her digestive system will handle this as well. She is alert and interested and seems perkier this evening. We will continue to monitor her this evening and overnight. I will be happy when this has passed and she resumes her normal diet.








No comments: