Sunday, July 25, 2021

Sleeping through the night

It started last weekend with Serena having diarrhea in the middle of the night. She didn't alert us until it was too late, so we were up three times scrubbing the bedroom floor and swapping out dog beds. That was beginning to get better after a couple of days and then Della ate the rabbit. That resulted in some middle of the night outings for a couple more nights. 

Then Arby got sick. He was ejecting from both ends, three times in the bedroom one night. His 24 hour fast was extended because he didn't have much appetite for food. When he had some bloody diarrhea the second night I got pretty worried. I finally got some Imodium into him. Between that and the fasting, the diarrhea stopped. I tried some chicken and rice but he was still rejecting that a half hour after eating it. I gave him some Cerenia in a small rice ball and that finally got his system settled down again. Friday night was the first night all week that we were able to sleep through the night. Saturday morning he had another small rice ball with more Cerenia and he kept it down. He got a bit more chicken and rice midday, and a bit more Saturday evening. So far, so good. On Sunday morning I gave him a bit of real dog food with the last of the chicken and rice, and a bit more moistened dry dog food and some canned food Sunday evening. 

Arby is definitely improved, he's hungry and interested in food again and he's acting more like his cantankerous self again. I know we'll be facing a final illness with him someday, but I hope it's not that time just yet.


Serena and Della waking me up in the morning.

This was morning nap time on Saturday morning. The dogs get up at 6:00 a.m. and
have breakfast, do their business and then come back inside for morning nap. 
Usually I'm on the computer and they are on dog beds in my office, but
I decided to join them for morning nap so we had it in bed.

Maya hops into bed for snuggling, but prefers to sleep by herself.
Della made herself at home at the foot of the bed for nap time.


Here's Arby returning from one of his frequent trips outdoors. He always wants to
leave by the back door but he comes back in through the front door.

Saturday night Della climbed back into bed and curled up, making it clear that
she wanted to sleep there for the night. We gave it a try and she stayed the full night.
It wasn't too bad, she was mostly on my side and my legs aren't as long as Clay's. 
I don't really want this to become a regular thing, but Della has her own ideas.

That's Maya licking Arby's bowl Sunday evening after he had polished off his dinner.
I'm glad he's eating again and keeping it down.

That's Serena in front and the new foster, Leroy in back.
Leroy has been sweet, good, and easy so far. Nice dog.

Clay is sitting in the recliner and Arby is keeping everyone else out of the room.
He wouldn't lay down until I went on upstairs where I belong.


1 comment:

Byron's Mom said...

So glad Arby is feeling better!!