Friday, July 9, 2021

Evening romp and rumble

The heat has depressed my level of activity and therefore my mood. The dogs also get less activity when I'm doing less. Today it was coming to a head indoors mostly with me and Nemo. I have kept him indoors exclusively because he swelled up so much after his neuter. That has finally begun to resolve and he's restless. He's a young, male shepherd, only recently neutered, and he needs something to do. I tried giving him some outdoor time in Daneland one day but when left alone he pushed his way out the gate and came to the house. He's never tried anything untoward with my girls, or with Max, but he's made a couple of aggressive moves on Arby. No harm done, but it's bad behavior and I think he mostly needed at outlet for his stupid boy shepherd energy. So I was determined to take him and his swollen scrotum out to run in the pasture this evening. Of course Max went along, as well as Della, Serena, and Cosmo.

Hugo was in the dog yard where he's been spending his days for the last few weeks, sometimes with Max, sometimes by himself. I let him out of the dog yard through the back gate that opens to the pasture. He came running out and immediately encountered Nemo and a rumble ensued. As is typical with most male fights, it was much sound and fury, signifying nothing. No one was hurt and after they broke it off they got along fine. Hugo is obsessed with the frisbee and that occupied him. Nemo saw how much attention he got and later picked up the frisbee when Hugo abandoned it. I wondered if that would set them off again, but it didn't. 

I rode the mower and ran them around for the better part of an hour, determined to run the stupid out of them all. Della and Serena just did their own thing, hunting small game along the tree line mostly. Cosmo mostly hung out and watched, but it was his first time out there. 

They ran, played, and everyone had a good time. I hadn't taken Hugo out in a few days and he was needing it bad, just as Nemo was. Both of these boys need homes who are prepared to work with them extensively, and daily, on training and something very physical as an outlet for their energy.

Since the other boys were interested in the Frisbee, Max was too and he eventually got it.
I was afraid that would be the end of it because he would chew it up.
But it survived to get back to the dog yard.





Here's Della's butt sticking out of the tall grass at the tree line. 
I don't think they found anything but I saw Serena eating something, probably deer poop.



Cosmo enjoyed himself but he didn't run too much.



I thought we might have a problem when Nemo got the frisbee, but Hugo waited until he lost interest.














No comments: