Friday, March 12, 2021

After dinner

When I was a kid our family spent many summer weekends camping at Kanapolis Lake in Kansas. We had a small RV for camping and a boat for water skiing. I'm not sure how my parents reaped any enjoyment from a weekend dealing with all the equipment and food for three kids, but I'm sure glad they did. One of the things I remember from weekends at the lake is that we weren't allowed to go swimming for an hour after we ate. I'm not sure what the reasoning was, but it was believed that something terrible would befall any child who went swimming within an hour after eating. Something about stomach cramps I think. 

I now find myself enforcing the same parental rule as to my dogs. No running and playing within an hour of eating dinner, to avoid a risk factor for bloat. It's probably the same theory, but while it's a real risk in large breed dogs, I'm not sure it ever had any validity as to human children. 

I'm feeding a little later now as the days are getting longer, but still early enough that I could make them wait an hour after eating and still get out for an evening run before dark. The time changes this weekend and we are all ready for it.



Max

Everest



Mowgli and Rajah



Raj and Everest in front, that's Serena back by the fence.

Raj is beginning to put on weight.

Reina is also filling out. She's a pretty heavy, thick, Dane.


Mowgli and Raj

Raj, Everest, and Mowgli





Reina




Della and Raj, about to break out into a run.

Max, trying to stay out of the way of Della and Raj.

I've got both my big mowers started and I've been cutting the tall grass that I left from last fall.
It made for some pretty pictures over the winter, but it's time for it to go.
The mowing season is about to begin.








Della looking behind her as she runs, to see if they are keeping up or gaining on her.

Della and Reina








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a happy pack....