Sunday, March 28, 2021

New day, new dog

Thor must have had a good night's sleep because he woke up as a new dog this morning, Thor 2.0. It was raining at 7:00 a.m. but everyone insisted on eating as normal. Thor went out to the a/c yard with the other dogs and was fine mingling amongst them. All of yesterday's anxiety and fear seemed to be gone. He was still a bit cautious with us, but we got nose touches that told us he was willing to get acquainted. 

I still had a short nylon leash attached to his collar that he could drag around to enable me to get a hold of him when I wanted or needed to do so. Generally I'd just step on the leash as he was walking and then reach down and grab it. I had dispensed with that leash by the end of the day, indoors at least.

The rain stopped for the most part and Thor seemed sufficiently comfortable that I decided to take him out for a walk. We took Maya along, of course, and did the two miles of the roadway at Pleasant Grove. I've always found that leash walking is a good way to get a new dog to trust me. It worked for Maya and many others since and I think it helped cement my relationship with Thor as well. He was not bad on the leash, no pulling, but he did a lot of walking from side to side, which can be annoying. All things considered, for a first walk, he was really good.

He hasn't eaten yet, but he was calm and quiet in the crate last night. Given how scared he was yesterday, not just of me but of the other dogs, we are a lot further along than I expected to be today. 


Outside with the girls this morning.



I used a black, one-buckle harness on Thor today but I left the orange leash
attached to his collar too, just in case.



Maya was very tolerant and good with Thor today.


That's a nice picture of him.




2 comments:

David V said...

What wonderful news! Everything is going to work out for this one. Looking forward to seeing who adopts him.

EThetaB said...

What a soulful, handsome face!