Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Growing up shepherd

We've had a full day of sunshine and no new dogs today! Beautiful day but I was stuck at my desk for most all of it. No complaints though, it was a productive day. The new Danes hung out with Everest in Daneland. Although I put three fresh bales of dry straw out there, somehow the new girl, Reina, still managed to get her long legs and belly coated in mud while Raj and the snow white Everest stayed relatively clean. Reina has met everyone around here now and seems fine. Della's nose is a bit out of joint, but I'll take her out for a walk tomorrow and try to smooth her ruffled feathers. 

Because I have no new pictures today, I thought I'd take the opportunity to share some of a former foster, the pretty little shepherd girl we called Samantha. She is now called Taiga. She was adopted last fall to former adopters and she has been keeping their lives interesting. Any female shepherd is more than likely going to prove difficult and Sam was a very shepherdy little girl. The adopters did some research and found that she comes from working dog lines, which certainly seems consistent with both her looks and personality. 

The pictures show that Taiga has filled out and grown into an absolutely beautiful shepherd girl. The updates they've shared with me confirmed that she went to the right home too. They love the dog and have committed to giving her both the love and the training that she will need. She won't be an easy dog, well, maybe in a few years, but they had it easy with Koa, their other (male) shepherd, so they were due for a bit of a challenge and I'm sure they are up for it. 

I was very lucky that these folks came along looking for another dog when I had Sam because she could have been a very tough placement and might well have been returned a time or two by well meaning but unprepared adopters. 

This was Sam on one of our first walks.


This was shortly after her adoption, going after the biggest stick she could find.

Here she is going after the source of the sticks.



She has grown into a real beauty.



That intense look tells you everything about this girl.


No comments: