Monday, March 22, 2021

A neuter and a hike

Mowgli (the Big Hairy Beast) got neutered today. I just assumed he was intact because the prior owner said he was and I had no reason to believe otherwise, but it was never obvious from just looking at the dog. His testicles were completely hidden in the long coat. I would have needed to reach under and cop a feel to actually know they were there. Mowgli doesn't really have any real undesirable traits associated with unneutered males. He does have a more than casual interest in all female dogs, but he isn't constantly lifting his leg to mark everything as his. In fact he has never marked in the house at all, which is really quite amazing. Anyway, the vet found his testicles under all that fur and removed them today. He seems fine this evening and he will be getting adopted this coming weekend!

Although I had two round trips to Charlottesville, I still had time for a five mile hike late this afternoon thanks to daylight savings time and a relatively light work day. Maya and Della went with me and we covered the ground at a slightly better pace than I've been managing lately. I need to take advantage of this good hiking weather to get in more miles and try to drop some weight before it gets hot and I slack off again.


This is Mowgli ready to go home when I picked him up after his surgery today.
He hopped right into the back of the van on his own.


Della on our hike this afternoon.


The first wild flowers I've seen in the woods this year (and Maya's paw).


Della standing very tall and stately.

Our only human encounter today was one mountain biker.

We had two deer sightings. Maya saw them first.

Della is still learning the trails, as well as the sights, sounds, and smells in the woods.

Della and Maya walk very well together.

We hit Sparky's watering hole at the four mile mark today.
Both girls stopped for a quick drink and I wished I could have joined them.


5.1 miles, all in the woods, a good route.


No comments: