Sunday, March 21, 2021

Sunday send offs

Today was the sailing day for Everest and Reina. I'm happy for them, but a little sad for those they left behind, me included. Before they left I took them out to the pasture for a farewell romp. 

Both went to great homes. The woman who adopted Everest has been after her since we got her here. She was very excited and drove here from Pennsylvania this afternoon to make it happen. The only concern with this one is her cats. That's why we tested Everest with cats on two occasions and they didn't get any reaction out of her so we have good reason to hope that it will go well.

I knew Everest would be friendly and outgoing with new people. I had no reason to believe that Reina would be the same, but she surprised us. Reina was so scared and distrustful when she arrived here and she really hasn't been anywhere or met anyone new since then. She was a bit shy at first today and had her tail tucked, but she let the people approach her and she soon approached them on her own. They've had a Dane before and they fell in love with her. They seemed like kind, gentle, and patient people and they understand that she will take a little time to settle in. I think it will happen sooner than we have any right to expect, however. She needs them and they seemed to need that big dog love that Reina has in great abundance. 

Kaya will really miss having Everest around, I know, but she needs to have more experience with other dogs so it will be good for her in that respect. I will miss Reina because I'm a big softie and I really fall for the scared ones who turn around and grow to love me. 






Everest was adopted by a woman wearing a t-shirt that reads:
"Dogs, because people suck." That's good enough for me.




This picture breaks my heart, but Reina learned to love and trust us
and she will learn to love and trust new people even faster.
I promised her there would only be good people in her future
and I think we kept that promise with these adopters. 

She warmed up to them pretty quickly and when it was time to go 
she hopped into their car with only the slightest encouragement from me.
In contrast, when I first picked her up at Green Dogs I had to literally
pick her up to put her into my van. She's come a long way.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to Everest and Reina in their new homes. This is how rescue is supposed to work.
Dog bless you and Clay.

David V said...

So happy to see these two finding their forever homes. Sad as well for they were enjoying the experience at your home.