Friday, March 5, 2021

Everest

This is the first of a series of three posts I'm planning to do this weekend, one featuring each of our three current foster dogs. I'm starting with Everest. Today was the first time I have taken her out to the pasture. Given her apparent breed makeup I was a little concerned that she would be a fence jumper, an escape artist, and/or a roamer so I've been keeping her confined to Daneland during the day with its 6' fence, or indoors. 

Yesterday I put Everest in the dog yard (4' fence) for a while and she made no attempt to get out. I've also been moving her to and from Daneland without a leash for the past couple of days. She comes to the door of the house to get in and to the gate of Daneland to be fed so I've come to trust her a bit more. Our prior husky, TJ, got out of the dog yard on his first day here and headed for the front fence like he was going to take off, so I was concerned about giving Everest much freedom until I was sure she was "homed" here. But Everest just wants to be where the action is, and wherever Everest is, there is action.

Everest is good with other dogs, respectful of my older dogs and she really, really likes to run and play. Watching her fly across the pasture was fun. She will run with another dog or she will run on her own, just for the joy of movement. And she is really fast. Della can stay in front of her, but my money would be on Everest for the long haul. She's got both speed and stamina, in spades. Everest is also really good about going into her crate at night and from what I've seen, her house manners are very good as well.

She's about two years old, if that, and she's more interested in play than food, although she will guard her food if another dog is around. She came from Texas and apparently she had killed a chicken or two in a foster home so they sent her to a kennel until she made her way here. She may have some prey drive so a cat- and chicken-free home would be preferable. I'd like to see a little more weight on her, but she's young, she's got plenty of time to plump when she's older. Right now, she's a lean, mean, husky machine, ready for adventure. She's available for adoption through Green Dogs Unleashed




Here is Everest about to blow past Serena.



I do love her tail.

Here she is with Reina, who also enjoyed the pasture today.

She was never still for very long.



She got Della to run with her for a while. Della took the lead.



I love this one. The grass in the lower pasture is taller than her, 
but she tears through it even if she can't see where she's going.

She got Reina to run and play with her today too. 
I was really happy to see that.

This is the sole still picture I got of her today.



It was a pleasure to watch her run.

I've been moving Max to Daneland to be with Everest during the day. She doesn't see him as being
different from any other dog and she has succeeded in getting him to run and play with her on occasion.
Here she's trying to figure out his fascination with that chunk of wood he carries around.

Serena and Everest


No comments: