Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Mowgli's turn

Mowgli's neuter was originally scheduled for tomorrow, I think, but got moved up to Monday. That was great because it meant that he got to go to his new home today. The adopters were excited to have him and he was happy and excited to go with them. He will get far more one-on-one attention in his new home, actually more like two-on-one, and he will love that. He's the most velcro dog we've had around here, following me everywhere and laying so close to my chair that I have to be careful getting up. 

I kept him indoors yesterday but he doesn't act like he just had surgery. He was back to his normal self by Monday evening and didn't understand why I wouldn't let him to out to run and play with the others yesterday. I gave him a good brushing while waiting for the adopters this afternoon. He's a gorgeous dog, all Berners are; I can certainly understand the appeal of the breed. Nice dog too, very well mannered indoors and with all the other dogs. A great dog all around. We wish him a long, healthy, and happy life.






Earlier in the day I took Della and Serena out for a hike. It started raining as soon as we started walking. Della would have been happy to call it off, but Serena didn't mind the rain at all. She was so happy to be out on a hike that Della and I weren't about to disappoint her by turning back. We went three miles at a pretty good pace, set by Serena, who was out front the entire time. Della actually brought up the rear for a change.

I was pretty wet by the time we were back at the van, but it's warm enough now that the rain wasn't really unpleasant. The movement felt good. I need to take Serena more often. She's enthusiastic and gets me moving faster. Also, she is not nearly as interested in the stop and sniff routine as Della and Maya.




I keep a Gentle Leader (head halter) on both girls and have short leashes handy that I can 
clip on in case I need them. I don't often use them, but two Great Danes could be difficult to
control if they wanted to take off after deer or went crazy if they saw horses. 
Mostly I walk them using the rope harnesses that you see here. They are light, simple, and effective.











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope he has a long and happy life with is new people. How could anyone not love him, with a smiling face like that.

David V said...

Congratulations