Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Theo at the vet

You may have noticed the absence of Theo from the pasture playing pictures of late. That's not by choice, and certainly not his choice, it's because I haven't been letting him out to run. He's been walking with a bit of a limp on his right front leg. He's not quite limping, but you definitely notice it in his gait. I think it probably happened when we had the snow and ice not long ago.  

I didn't jump on the treatment immediately, not being sure if it was something minor that would resolve itself. But when it didn't, I did start to get concerned and started giving him some meds and trying to keep him indoors most of the time. However, even when I was keeping him indoors, I would still let him go out to run and play ball in the pasture. He will play when he's hurt, even if it's making it worse. It was only this week that I was keeping him indoors, on medication, and not letting go out to run and play. It's very hard to not take Theo to the pasture when I go out with the others. He's visibly disappointed and looks hurt and confused. Theo is one that I always take out to the pasture because it doesn't matter who else is going, Theo gets along with them all and he really likes to play ball. I mean, this dog lives to play ball. I've been waiting until Clay was home so someone would be in the house with him at least when I went out with others.

Today I took him to the vet to get the leg checked out and to get more meds. X-rays didn't show anything terrible (like a bone tumor), so we are proceeding on the theory that it's a soft tissue injury. Theo is not a young dog anymore, so healing may take a while. I got some more meds to keep him comfortable and calm and he's just going to have to take it easy for a while if he wants to resume playing ball and retain his title as Theo the Great, World Champion Ball Player. 

Theo was a gentleman at the vet's office, of course, even showing the vet just where his leg hurt in unmistakable terms. Still, he's better behaved than 99% of my dogs, past and present, and better than any shepherd I've ever had or am likely to ever have. 







2 comments:

Byron's Mom said...

Poor guy! I hope he is able to frolic again soon! Hugs to Theo!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Theo. I hope he recovers quickly.